Alluring Ylivieska

Ylivieska is going through a season of strong growth and development. Our population has grown constantly since the early 2000s, and now there are more than 15,000 residents in Ylivieska. The Town organisation has made significant investments in order to meet the increasing service needs of the growing town. Positive development has strengthened Ylivieska’s position as a regional trade and service centre. Due to the strong growth, Ylivieska has also been named one of the newest national main market areas.

Ylivieska’s excellent location with its railway junctions and motorway intersections ensures that we are easy to reach. Our town is lively and active, and in addition to high-quality services, we offer excellent active free time opportunities. We provide our residents with good conditions for enjoyable living and self-development and our businesses with opportunities for versatile and successful operations.

Come see for yourself!

Our town offers a variety of accommodation options

Restaurants and evening locations

Concert and cultural services

Sports services

Summer cafés

Myllykahvila (in Finnish)

Kerttu summer café (Puuhkalan museum)

Sights

Pylväsvuo (in Finnish)

Created by visual artist Jaakko Mattila and media artist and Professor Jussi Ängeslevä, Pylväsvuo contains five parts that combine polarisation films and countryside objects. The works are located in the village of Pylväs by Ängesleväntie road. Pylväsvuo was created through close dialogue with the local residents, and the artists were inspired by the villagers’ memories.

Pylväsvuo is part of the Pohjavirta project, the works of which are a gift from the Northern Ostrobothnia fund of the Finnish Cultural Foundation to the residents of its operational area. The Town of Ylivieska accepted the work in August 2015. Carried out between 2014 and 2015, the Pohjavirta project celebrated the Finnish Cultural Foundation’s 75th anniversary in 2014 and the Northern Ostrobothnia fund’s 40-year history of art donations in 2015.

http://pylvasvuo.fi/

The Helaala mill. The mill was originally built in 1884 and renovated into its old form in 1942. The mill is open from June to August with changing exhibitions, programmes, mill tours and a summer café. Address: Kauppakatu. For inquiries and additional information, please contact the Ylivieska 4H Federation. +358 (0)44 2952 925

The Savisilta bridge was built in 1912 (J. Castrén). The second oldest bridge in Finland made of reinforced concrete, the bridge was named ‘Clay Bridge’ by the local people who were not yet familiar with the construction material. The bridge has a structure of beams and cantilevers with five openings. The bridge was later renovated, and today it is used only for non-motorised traffic.

While the centre of Ylivieska has gone through major changes and renovations, the Kalajoki riverside has retained many of its traditional elements. The islands in the river have scenic value, and Pappisaari island holds memories from the era of the Great Northern War.

The wooden church of Ylivieska with its end tower burned down in the spring of 2016. The church was built in 1786 (P. Raudaskoski). The church ruins are surrounded by the old cemetery.

Kerttu and Kalevi’s doll and ship exhibition:
handcrafted dolls and ships. Address: Latvalehdontie 8. Open as agreed. Entry fee €2 for adults and €1 for ages 7‒15. For more information, please contact Kerttu and Kalevi Lämsä. Tel. +358 (0)8 424 389 or +358 (0)50 5220 030. Welcome, and bring your guests as well!

The Elias historic house museum: history of Ylivieska, old items and vehicles. Open by agreement. For more information, please contact Elias Klemetti, tel. +358 (0)500 422 000. Address: Helaalankatu 26.

Heikki Sydänmetsä’s study: wood reliefs, jewellery, practical items, church paintings. Open by agreement. For more information, please contact Heikki Sydänmetsä, tel. +358 (0)40 8283 912.

The Puuhkala local history museum. The entire museum area is open from June to August, Wednesday–Friday 12 noon–6 pm and weekends 12 noon–4 pm. Tel. +358 (0)8 4294 441. Address: Puuhkalantie 6. The Milk Jug Museum and Järvelä House are open in winter. Inquiries, tel. +358 (0)44 4294 441, +358 (0)44 4294 354, +358 (0)44 4294 543.

Jumbo (old restored steam locomotive). Inquiries: Station Manager Asta Vähäpassi, tel. +358 (0)307 460 01.

Enlarged photographs of Ylivieska town centre from the 20th century. The images were created from Ahti Isokääntä’s collection. Mustaleski restaurant. Rautatiekatu 1, 84100 Ylivieska, tel. +358 (0)8 420 375.

Statues and monuments

‘Kyösti Kallio’ (Risto Saalasti 1971) Town Hall park, Kyöstintie 4

‘Elämän vesi’ (Antonio da Cudan 1985) Town Hall park, Kyöstintie 4

‘Lakeuden liekki’ (Väinö Lätti 1972) Kirkkopuisto park, Kirkkotie

‘Kivimiehet’ (Lauri Kivi and Seppo Pälli 1985) Kataja school, Katajantie

‘Feriatis’, the monument celebrating the 100th anniversary of construction of the railway
(Antonio da Cudan 1986) Ylivieska Railway Station, Asemakatu

Monument, the birthplace of Pietari Päivärinta, Vähäkankaantie 5

War monument and cannon acquired by the sponsors of the Ylivieska War Veterans. Veteraanipuisto park

Civil guard house monument. Intersection of Juurikoskenkatu and Asemakatu. Sponsors of the Yilivieska War Veterans.

Monuments for prisoners of war who died in Raudaskylä (2 pieces). During the Continuation War, there was a military hospital in Raudaskylä. The opening ceremony was held on 18 August 1941. Critically wounded prisoners were brought to the hospital. Many of them had broken femurs, the treatment for which was usually amputation. Some of the prisoners brought in in late 1941 were so severely malnourished that nothing could be done for them. A forest location about 1 km away from the hospital by the highway to Ylivieska was chosen to serve as a cemetery for the prisoners of war. Text: Tapio Koistinaho.

На этом кладбище похоронено 92 русских военнопленных, “92 Russian prisoners of war were buried in this cemetery”, reads the text on the monument erected on a prisoner grave site.

Visual artists from Ylivieska

Simo Pälli

Lena Koski

Graafinen suunnittelu Statiivi | Tekninen toteutus Joki ICT | Copyright © 2014 Ylivieskan kaupunki